Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Aruba, Jamaica, oooh I wanna take ya...

As I'm kicking around this notion of leaving my current job today (as I do everyday) it occurs to me that I haven't taken a vacation in what seems like eons. So I checked into it, and found that indeed I was right. I HAVEN'T taken a vacation in eons! As a matter of fact, I haven't taken a vacation since I've worked at my current place of employment!

I leaned back in my chair and began to dream of different vacation spots I'd like to go. For a brief moment, a smile formed on my face, but that was stripped away by the brunt force that is reality. So I decided to dig a little deeper and went on a quest to find out how much annual leave I really did have. Are you ready for this? Turns out, I have 32 days of vacation saved up! THIRTY-TWO! And you don't even want to know how much sick time I have, because I'm NEVER sick (knock on wood). So anyway, having 32 days of vacation immediately brought me to my next question. What happens if I jump ship? I'll be damned if I'm going to throw a month of vacation time away. Back to the digging!

After reading the rule book and consulting with some colleagues, I found out that if I quit, I'd get paid for each and every day of vacation I've earned. (HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES!) *does a little office dance* I really can't fathom getting my next four paychecks in one amount. It was a very welcomed surprise after yesterday. Maybe I will try and negotiate an extra week to myself before I switch over. I've always wanted to go to Europe...