Thursday, October 06, 2005

Without a paddle

Columbus Day is right around the corner. And for me, that means the annual canoe trip.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



As a state employee, I had this day off - paid. As a consultant, not so much.

But I never take a vacation and for the past 6 weeks I've been putting in close to 12 hour days for 6-7 days a week.

I'M TAKING A DAY OFF.

I think I'm going to appreciate this year's trip more so than last. It's very peaceful out on the water. The only electronic device is my cell phone to capture these crappy pictures and it gets turned off when I'm not using it. These shots are from last year as we explored parts of Silver Lake and its tributaries.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Each year we pick a different water body to make the trek on. This year's lucky winner is Mud Mill Pond. We'll put in there and just simply explore.

No emails. No voicemails. No traffic. Just peace and quiet and a paddle. And some mud...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's no Blue Ridge Mountain hike, but it's the next best thing living in a vertically challenged state.

I think maybe I appreciate little adventures into the great outdoors more than other people I know simply because I don't get to do them very often. I envy those people who just up and quit their job and travel the world for a year or backpack through Europe. At what point in life did I miss that option?

So come rain or shine, my friends and I are going canoeing.

And I'm going to do my very best to forget all about work for a day