Saturday, April 08, 2006

How Thoughtful


So I was running errands today and one such stop was my bank. It was raining and there was a line of cars at the drive up ATM so I waited patiently and listened to the radio.

The line wrapped around the back of the bank so there was really nothing else better to do but stare at the dumpster and watch the grass grow. That is, until I notice this. (the picture sucks because it was taken with my crappy cell phone.)

On the back of the building, about head-level, was a metal box which very much resembled a typical fuse box. It's hard to see in this photo, but the writing on the box said "BURGLAR ALARM" in big capital letters. Hmm...

So let's just say I'm a hypothetical bank robber. I know all banks have alarm systems. And because I've never served any time, I don't know how to disable all the fancy alarms like they do in the movies. I walk around to the back of this bank (where there was not a camera in sight), pop open this box with a $2 screwdriver and flip a switch.

Bingo. Retirement in Fiji.

Maybe it's just me, but even if it's THAT NECESSARY to put the alarm controls RIGHT THERE, do you really have to label the box? Why not just outline it in neon lights while you're there? In fact, you could even put an indicator light on there telling the public whether the thing is armed or not. No, you know what, how about just hiding the key to the vault in one of those key rocks and sit in on the sidewalk by the front door.

Thank God for FDIC...