Saturday, January 28, 2006

Got work?

With my eyes crossed and looking comatose, I'm headed to Pittsburgh.

I'm finding that there's not enough time in the day lately. I took a 10 minute break from writing a document today to make a Wal-mart run. There I ran into one of my old state employee coworkers. I haven't seen her in about a year and the first thing out of her mouth was "wow, you look tired." I told her how I've been on 8 flights in two weeks. I believe her response was something to the order of "holy shit."

I think it's about time for one of those retreats out into nature again. Man, I would just love to join some expedition to somewhere and be gone for months. I'm realizing now that I should have taken my folks up on that offer to join them on their cruise to Alaska in August.

And I dare not say "maybe work will slow down", because that's grounds for dismissal in my line of work. (And saying that won't get me a nicer office either.)

During my trip to St. Louis, those two hours I got to spend on my own seeing the Arch felt like a shot of adrenaline. I felt like a prisoner who had just escaped from his cell. I knew I'd get caught and would have to eventually have to go back, but those two hours were mine.

It's kind of like that scene in The Shawshank Redemption...

You know, come to think of it, I should change this blog's name to "I bitch a lot."

I remember when I used to load heavy bags of potting soil into people's cars over the scorching hot summer. I'd come home covered in dirt and smelling like cow manure. Man, those were the days...