Saturday, June 17, 2006

Half-life



I typically expect any vehicle I own to last 100,000 miles. At the 100K mark, the vehicle doesn't owe me anything. Any repairs, I can gladly accept at that point. I've only owned 1 vehicle in my life that past the 100K mark.

In my younger days, I had a '91 Ford Explorer Sport that I traded in with 150,000 miles on it. I saw it running around town many months later.

Isn't it a weird feeling when you see one of your old vehicles driving around town? You think of all the fun times you had in that car. All the places you've traveled to.

Anyway, to my point. Today I reached the half-life of my Jeep. As you can see I rolled the landmark 50K point.


Well, let's see. A typical 5 year loan for a car. I've only owed the Jeep for 13 months. In a year or two at my current travel rate, I'll hit 100K miles before I'm even close to paying this thing off. Nothing like a little negative equity to look forward to.

I can see it now as the salesmen's jaw hits the floor once I tell him I have 500,000 miles on my trade in. But it has power windows?!?!