Friday, January 14, 2005

Into each life, a little rain must fall...

I should have recognized the signs from the beginning. Mother Nature has officially pissed me off. Rain, sleet, snow, hail, thunder, lightening, subzero cold, scorching heat, bring it on. I'm a rock, until it begins toying around with my life.

Today I got in my SUV to go to work. It had been raining HARD all night. As I accelerated out of my parking space I heard what can only be described as someone urinating in my back seat. I looked in my rear view mirror and what do I see but a stream of water pouring in THROUGH MY MIDDLE DOME LIGHT! If I had a child in a car seat, they would have just taken an icy bath.

So naturally I was taken by this. I slammed on the brakes and whipped into the next open parking space. Big mistake. All of the inertia I had carried the remaining water forward and to the little overhead temperature/compass thingy, which then poured out all over my dash!

*insert rant of explicatives here*

It was at that moment that I realized that my moon roof was the culprit and I was livid. So I drove to the dealer on my lunch hour and demanded that it be fixed and that the warranty covered it. The dealer says "I've got an opening next Wednesday."

*insert ability to remain calm*

I calmly tell the technician that while it is certainly wonderful that he has an opening next Wednesday, my vehicle appears to have an opening RIGHT NOW. And as far as I can tell, it's still raining. He walks to the back of the shop and chats with some greasy dude then returns.
"We can squeeze you in now," he boasts.

An hour goes by and they tell me my truck is finished and that they completely took it apart and put it back together. Something about a clogged drainage tube or something. So I thank the man for "squeezing me in" and head on my way.

I get in my truck and begin to survey the area.

*insert rant of explicatives here*

*delete ability to remain calm*

As I looked up at the moon roof, I knew instantly that it had been Mr. Greasy that inspected my leaking problem. All over my spotless tan headliner was what can only be described as an environmental hazard. Remember that oil tanker the ruptured in the Delaware River a while back? That's what the inside of my roof looked like.

Back into the shop I went.

"Now you can replace my headliner because it looks like a dog drug his ass across it now." I calmly stated. The shopkeepers response was the trademark "deer-in-headlights" look.

I'll spare you the gritty other details of me chewing out the dealership manager, but I will tell you that I now have a clean headliner and a sealed moon roof.

Moral of the story: The Delawarean always plays nice with others, until you break his toys...




PS- an update on the job situation is coming soon... It's looking like I'm jumping ship... More to come.