Monday, April 11, 2005

Uh, yeah... Did ya get that memo?

First days are always painful. It's inevitable that you're going to get stuck with one of two extremes: extreme boredom or extreme workload. Today I could have used a snickers.

All began well as I showed up at the parent company's HR offices. Everything was in order. Papers, packets, binders, and nifty little glass mugs were waiting for me when I arrived. (It also brightened my day to see that the HR rep running the orientation was a very attractive brunette.) I figured if I wasn't going anywhere for a while, and I didn't have a snickers, it was very nice of them to provide me with eye candy.

But alas, she was very efficient and shortly after 9am we were done. We walked to the building next door where I got my mugshot taken. (I still have no idea what they're going to do with that. It's not on my ID.) She walked me up to the 4th floor and handed me off to my division who looked at me like Elvis had just walked through the door. I knew it was going to be all down hill from here.

Apparently they didn't get the memo that I was starting today, because no one had a clue that I was supposed to be there. My laptop wasn't ready. No one was available to show me the ropes. I spent the entire day reading and rereading benefits packets sitting in an empty cube. Time is money in the consulting world and they just lost about 3/4 of a day having me just sit there.

It's ok though. I know to expect this. It happens everywhere. I guess I just figured that this time would be different. But now it's over. And it's a very small torture to endure to work from home starting Thursday.

Hmm, now I only have to figure out how to get the cute brunette to transfer to the soon-to-be-opened Delaware office.