Sunday, October 23, 2005

BONSAI !!!

There are moments in time when one realizes that all the pain and hard work they've been doing for such a long time actually pays off. Like when Daniel gets fed up with doing Mr. Miyagi's chores, and realizes he's been learning karate motions the whole time.


It's a revelation of sorts.

An enlightenment.



A broadening of ones' horizons.


So I'm sitting here working on something for work (go figure), and it dawned on me.

(Insert flashback here)

You see, for quite some time now, I've always pushed myself quite hard, professionally speaking. And no matter what I did, I felt like my wheels were spinning. I'd get a promotion, but three days later it was back to the grind stone trying to find out where that next rung of the corporate ladder would be at. I would always answer that "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question by pointing to the chair of the person that's asking it. No matter what I did, the perfectionist within me would be whispering "is this the best it can be?" I'm always my own worst critic.

So as the events of the past year in my life unfolded, I'll admit that it doused the flames of my burning drive to do my best. The perfectionist within stopped whispering driving thoughts and started whispering "Why bother? You see where it got you the first time." I couldn't get motivated. As hard as I tried, (and believe me, I put on a good front), I simply could not find the drive to take as much pride in my job as I had before. It was a slap in the face that left a scar.

When I took my new job, I was put in position that required that fire to be there 100% of the time. I tried to look at it as a new start. A new fence to paint if you will. And I was handed the brush and pointed toward the fence. But my all still wasn't in it. I felt out of place. Uncertain if this fence was even worth painting.

So back to my point...
As I'm working here, I'm thinking about upcoming tasks and everything I'm invloved in and I realize that this fence is, in fact, worth painting. And that the more of the fence I paint, the more this company realizes it and other people want me to paint their fences too. And some even want me to sand their floors and wax their cars! And that's when it hit me.

The better I wax, sand and paint, the more I'm learning and peers within the Miyagi do-jo respect my abilities. Things that seemed intimidating before are now clear to me. I have a direction and I know what I must do. It's a level of confidence that was restored.


And with it comes the fire. And just past the smoke, is the next rung of the corporate ladder.


Feel free to read this again with the Karate Kid theme music on. It's a completely different experience. Trust me.