Thursday, August 03, 2006

Must have been a woman's idea



In my quest to find a home in northern Delaware, (which from this point forward will be referred to as The Neverending Story) I've noticed a recurring theme with a great number of houses I've looked at.

There seems to be a lust for converting one's garage into an additional bedroom. An I'm not talking about 1 bedroom houses here either. I'm talking about houses with 3 existing bedrooms and a perfectly fine garage, converting it to another bedroom. Take the house below for example.



This was a nice little 3 BR, 1 BA house with a nice one car garage. Perfect for, oh, I dunno, say ME. But then they had to go close up the garage and stick another BR in there. And I'm convinced that this trend started as a woman's idea. Because no man in their right mind would willingly just give up a garage.

To a man, a garage is so much more than just a place to park your car. It's a work bench, an automotive repair center, a tool shed, a sporting goods equipment locker and probably the most important, it's a refuge from a nagging wife and kids where a man can go and relax and pretend he's "working" on something. Aside from serving as the focal point for all manly activity in the house, the garage serves as an educational center enriched with family bonding capabilities. How else are young men supposed to learn to work on cars with Dad and cut wood with power tools? A garage is where a man becomes a man! I learned all of my automotive knowledge by pulling things apart in my old garage and putting them back together. It's where I parked by bicycle when I was a kid! How can one just extinguish a garage without thinking about the repercussions on future generations?



Now, I realize that as people with actual families need more space, the garage is probably the cheapest and easiest way to expand a home, but for God's sakes people garages are becoming EXTINCT!!! This trend of "garage-less" lifestyles is spawning generations of metrosexuals and people who can't do things for themselves.



What is to become of us? Where is society headed? I don't claim to have all the answers, but I do know that when I needed questions like these answered when I was young, I headed out to the garage to ask my Dad...