Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fly me to the moon...



There's something really cool about space. Where does one start in trying to describe it? Is it the exploration? The achievement? The Pride? It's all those and much more.

I have had a natural interest in the space program and NASA in general ever since attended Space Camp in Huntsville, AL when I was younger. So of course I pay very close attention to every detail when a Shuttle goes up. Like many other things I'm fascinated with, I try to learn more about it. And more is never enough.

Fortunately for me (and the rest of the world), we now have the wonderful Internet to keep track of things. So as I was checking NASA's site today to keep tabs on the Shuttle rollover and dock with the ISS, I noticed something even more "cool".

Below is a video of the Shuttle Discovery rolling over before the dock so that the ISS crew can photograph and examine the belly of the orbiter for damage. But that's not what caught my eye. Watch the video and pay particular attention to the earth below. It gives a very good perspective of what it's like to travel at 17,000 miles an hour. But that's not even what caught my eye. Focus around the 50 second mark on the video. Watch as the orbiter passes over the geography below. You can clearly see a man made canal and all you fellow geographers out there help me out, but is this the Panama Canal? The Suez Canal? The Delaware Canal? (yeah, right).

Where in the world is this (Carmen Sandiego)?