Thursday, August 24, 2006

Randomousity



Sometimes you just don't have a topic to write about. So you get a post like this where you just list some random things going on.

  • Yesterday my boss was promoted to a Director of our company. We found out while he was out of the office and he came back in the middle of one of our meetings. Upon him entering, I stopped the meeting mid-sentence, stood up and yelled CAPTAIN ON DECK. Our entire office staff jumped to their feet and saluted. This was not pre-discussed. We just all think on the same wavelength and our office atmosphere is such that the reply was along the lines of "screw all of you guys." What does this mean for me? Not a damn thing. Yet.
  • I was going to really make an effort to fulfill Mike's tag/book list/thing but I only get to read on planes and in airports so here's my half-assed version.
  • One book that changed your life: The Making of An American Landscape. This book forced me to survey my surroundings no matter where I am and think about what others were thinking when they designed something in particular, like Central Park or rock gardens, or worship halls. I find that whenever I people watch I find myself thinking of this book which forces me to think about how people socially affect the landscape they interact with. Close runner up: Who moved my cheese?
  • One book you read more than once: Strike one. I don't have time to repeat books. I'm lucky if I can finish one.
  • One book you'd want on a desert island: Well, that depends. Am I alone on said island? What's the temperature? I'm thinking a set of encyclopedias would be nice to burn and keep me warm for a while at night when the sun goes down. (I know that's not the point of the question, but I'm a realist. Read a book or freeze to death?)
  • One book that made you laugh: America The Book. Jon Stewart for President!
  • One book that made you cry: Strike two. Maybe Old Yeller a long time ago. I was like 4!
  • One book you wish had been written: I don't get the fascination with Harry Potter by The Delawarean. Seriously. I don't understand the fad. When I was 3 Disney came out with Fantasia. Substitute a mouse for a kid with glasses. Same thing.
  • One book you wish had never been written: The 9/11 Commission Report. I wish there was never a need to write that.
  • One book you're currently reading: The Tin Man. Good airplane material. I like action books.
  • One book you've been meaning to read: (This is so cliche, but...) The Da Vinci Code. Everyone in the world has read this and I refuse to see the movie until I read the book.
  • Tag five others: Strike three. Homey don't play that.
  • I rented a storage unit in northern DE the other day. I plan to slowly migrate my junk north during each commute to my office.
  • I never realized how different cultures are. A Chinese coworker was walking through the new office construction area with me and commented how in China they don't use dry wall. Most things are brick and everything is done by hand. He was amazed at the aluminum studs and how fast construction was done.
  • This is why I own a Jeep. (It doesn't get really impressive until about the 1:40 mark).
  • I was in a bar/pub in St. Louis the other day and 5 U.S. Marines came in wearing dress uniforms. A somewhat drunk patron yelled GO ARMY! in an attempt to show support. They paid him no mind. I kindly leaned over and informed them that they were Marines and that there is a difference. The guy then got up, went over to their table, apologized, thanked them for serving and paid for half of their tab. That's what I like about St. Louis.
  • I'm stoked about moving up to northern DE. I will finally be able to start the life I planned on starting six years ago when I moved to Dover.
  • I'm hungry. Must go eat.