Wednesday, February 02, 2005

It always feels like, somebody's watchin' me...

Ah yes, today was Groundhog's Day. The one day a year when the whole country looks on in anticipation as a oversized, overfeed, ornery, rodent is plucked from a fake hole and held in the air like some deity for all to bow down to.


KNEEL BEFORE THE ALMIGHTY PHIL
*insert heavenly music*
You see, I have every right to make fun of Groundhog's Day, because I have been there, in person, to witness this life-altering event. Oh, it's true.



On a cold blistering February morning 4 years ago, I accompanied 4 friends to make the trek to Punxsutawney, PA to party witness history in the making. Upon our arrival, we were greeted by some of the most inebriated country-folk I have EVER laid eyes on. Don't let the media coverage fool you. On Gobbler's Knob, Groundhog's Day has NOTHING to do with a fury little animal. It doesn't even have anything to do with the movie. It's a reason to party. Plain and simple. People come from miles around to stand in the arctic weather and drink ice cold Groundhog Brew (and whatever else they can imbibe.) I managed to save a bottle for a memento:
I remember driving home that evening thinking that the feeling would never been the same in my toes again. I was certain that I had caught pneumonia and had frost bite to boot. It's nice to say that I can cross the "Groundhog's Day experience" off my list of things to do before I die, but I don't think I'd do it again. At least not all in one day.


My advice to you, if you'd like to try it for yourself is book a room. There are a few nice bed and breakfasts in the area or simply grab a hotel. And hand warmers. LOTS of them. For every crack in your body.
And last but not least, don't expect to be floored by the event. It's awful to say, but set your expectations low for this and you shouldn't be disappointed. And whatever you decide to do just remember...



"Don't drive angry!"