Saturday, March 19, 2005

The Final Frontier

NASA announced today that a wiring problem in the Discovery payload bay would slow it's journey to the Vehicle Assembly Building.

An open letter to NASA:

Please take your time. As excited as I am to see you succeed, I am sure that I am not alone when I say "cross your t's and dot your i's.

There are many skeptics that say we're wasting money on our space program. Many would say that America should take care of it's more important issues here on earth rather than worry about Martians and looking at stars. To those people, I say open your mind.

Americans need NASA. Setting aside the benefits that have already come from our space program, NASA has two responsibilities in my eyes; technological leadership and sustaining the American Spirit.



It is human nature to explore, to learn. Mankind is destined to stand on the top of one world look to the next. On February 1, 2003, the hearts of Americans sank as the Shuttle Columbia broke apart upon reentry. We felt sorrow for the lives that were lost, but I also felt the American Spirit cringe. Our space program is an icon of our resolve. The Space Shuttle is the vessel that transports our resolve. When the space program stumbles, America stumbles with it.
So believe me when I say, take your time. Get it right for all of America. Heal our hearts and our spirits, and show the world that our resolve is stronger than ever before.

Thank you,

The Delawarean

SIDE NOTE:
I've been to Cape Canaveral to see a Shuttle Launch. It's one of the most breathtaking moments you'll ever experience and I strongly suggest it. I was young, but perhaps that was even better. The lasting impression will be with me forever. In fact, I was so affected by it, that I begged my parents to send me to Space Camp. And for my 11th birthday, my wish came true. I still believe to this day, that is the reason I put so much interest and support in any kind of space exploration; NASA or private ventures.