Monday, January 23, 2006

Death and Taxes

Other than that, nothing is certain.

It's that time of year again when we, the working class, gets our W2s, 1099-Rs and any other financial document reminding you of just exactly how much the government is keeping tabs on you.

I've never been one to be excited about doing my taxes. Not that it's that hard. In fact, it usually only takes me a few minutes because I'm single and I rent. Nothing deducted from nothing usually returns nothing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist.

However, this is the first year I had a decent job, that wasn't working for the public sector. All my friends would talk about their big tax returns and I always thought I was doing something wrong because I only got a few hundred bucks.

But now, it's different. I haven't even worked for a full year and already I've shocked myself at the return I'll be getting. And to think it'd be even more if I claimed zero exemptions. I'll admit it. I'm a little fired up. Yay capitalism!