Sunday, February 06, 2005

LLLLLLet's GET READY TO RUMBLLLLEEE!!!!

"Two men enter; one man leaves." - Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome

I'm fired up. And I'm not a fan of either one of these teams really. Like fellow blogger Brian, I am a (shhhh!) 49ers fan. But, I'd rather see the Eagles take this one. Mostly because I live within a hundred miles of Philly and I don't consider that safe enough distance from rioting.
I do however, have respect for Patriots QB, Tom Brady. When I was at Penn State, they played Michigan and Brady was the QB. I remember saying to a friend during that game that Brady would go Pro, and my friend saying, "Nah, he's not that good." (Good call there Zach! You owe me 5 bucks)

The Superbowl is a tradition, not so much about the actual game of football, but more about the atmosphere and mood it creates within and around each fan of the game. Think about it. If you're a football fan, you watch the Superbowl regardless of who is playing. During the regular season, if two teams you hated were playing on any given Sunday, you might go mow the lawn or do something constructive. Not during the Superbowl. You organize, you plan, you rally your own little Superbowl Posse to share in the ups and downs of each play. Not to mention the new commercials, which I look forward to more than the game sometimes.

Grown men dance, while women laugh at them and a good time is had by all. Everyone in front of the television becomes an armchair quarterback and watches as each play unfolds.

They say that greatness, no matter how brief, stays with a man. Who will it be to achieve greatness today? That's simple, it's the one with the best pregame pump-up speech...

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever" - The Replacements

Yup. That about covers it.