Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Just an old sweet song, keeps Georgia on my mind...

Tomorrow I head off to Rome, GA. My youngest brother is graduating from highschool.

I felt a bit bad taking time off from work so soon. I'll just have enough to cover this trip until I accrue more. But I can say one thing; there wasn't a chance in hell I'd miss this. I was a few months short from seeing my other brother graduate, so perhaps this one will have a little more meaning.

My Georgian family is a bit dysfunctional weird. I'll be staying with them for the duration of my trip (unfortunately). Married 3 times/divorced 3 times, my father is more like a co-worker to me than my "dad". Every talk with him is like a status report you'd give to your boss...

"How are things?"

"Everything's fine. Truck is running well. Settling into my job now."

"Ok, well, keep up the good work, bye."

"Bye."

You know how it is. You can pick your friends but you can't pick your family. I guess I should just be thankful for having them.

Each time I visit is like a walk into my childhood. I used to spend summers down there as a child. I find it refreshing to walk around the house and the neighborhood and rediscover my youth. Georgian flashbacks if you will.

First things first though. I always swing by the cemetary and visit for awhile. By myself. It's better that way. I don't like being rushed. Any time I plan to visit I tell them I'll be arriving a little later than I really am due to this little pit stop. But it's just something that I have to do. And if I told them, they'd want to go with me. That's no good.

I know that reading all of this probably makes me sound like a mental case, but I assure you I'm not crazy. The little voices in my head told me so. They also tell me lottery numbers each week but I don't play them. That'd be cheating.